Friday, September 30, 2011

Spirituality or Religion

Sermon: Exodus 20:1-4,7-9,12-20, Mt. 21:33-40
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, Oct. 2, 2011

A couple of weeks ago I was seating myself in this little plane, a puddle-jumper flying from Flint to Milwaukee. I pulled out my copy of Christianity Today and was prepared to be absorbed in it for the short flight across Michigan and Lake Michigan when this lady sits down in the seat next to me, takes one look at the magazine and exclaims, Isn’t it awful. Isn’t what awful? This article in USA Today which says people are abandoning church in large numbers and creating their own personal religion. Well, I was aware of recent research which reported that very thing but hadn’t seen the particular article she was clutching in her hand. It said these people were claiming to be spiritual rather than religious. I think she thought she had spotted a kindred soul when she saw the word Christianity on my magazine and actually she probably would have engaged me until she said “you know something else that is awful. No, what? Catholics don’t read the Bible.” When I countered that both my sisters are Catholic and they belong to this group WOW, Women of the Word, where they study the Bible and attend national rallies. That was the end of the conversation. She turned to her church lady friend across the aisle and ignored me the rest of the flight. I thanked God for small favors.

Actually, though, she and the article raise some interesting questions, like what does spiritual mean, what does religious mean and how are they related? Which is better, to be religious or to be spiritual? Can’t you be both? Does religious mean going to church? Before things get too confusing here, let me suggest some definitions. Spiritual, as I understand it, means devoting oneself to something greater than oneself and finding reward in that. Religious means being affiliated with some kind of organized religion and drawing part of one’s meaning from it. Religious usually implies a belief in a Higher Being. Spiritual does not necessarily imply that. Can you be one without the other? Certainly. I can devote myself like totally to a cause, to art, to science, to nature, to anything greater and somewhat beyond me, and, in the sense described, be quite spiritual. But that does not mean I am religious. Or I can be affiliated with a religion, practice it’s external tenants, go to church, believe in God intellectually but never really devote myself to Him, never take the plunge of total faith. Maybe never really pray. That is religion without spirituality.

I believe that we need to be both at the same time. Religion without spirituality is empty like that of the Pharisees that Jesus condemned. Spirituality without some form of traditional religious belief and practice is in danger of being shallow and incomplete; maybe just a fad.

Let me give an example of the second. Let’s say I am totally immersed in the world of music. Maybe I am a guitarist, or a composer or a conductor. I make great and spiritually uplifting music, whether its classical, jazz, folk, rock, country or rap. It helps me and others to have spiritually uplifting experiences. Sometimes I feel like I have experienced the divine. The church, by the way, uses music and other art forms for the same reason.

What could organized religion add to that? For starters, morality and a code to live by. For another, on-going contact with the scriptures and ancient traditions.

It is not true, by the way, that Catholics (and Episcopalians) don’t read the Bible. If they go to Church on a regular basis, they both hear and read three passages each time. They will have it interpreted for them, if the priest is doing her or his job. Oh, we’re not into quoting the Bible at people, hitting them over the head with it. And we would benefit from reading it more often.
Let me ask you this question: What was that first reading today, the one from Exodus? The ten commandments. Where are you going to hear them and be reminded of what they are, if not in a church setting? They are the basis of the morality of western civilization, they and the two commandments of Jesus, the ones about love.

I believe it is true that people need to establish their own personal relationship with God for their religion to be spiritual and I understand why many people, formerly religious people, chose to abandon church or only go on rare occasions.

I tried that myself for several years. I was busy pursuing a career, helping to raise our family. I didn’t have time for church affiliation, I thought. I would nourish my spiritual life by reading scripture and other inspirational readings and would meditate on my own. But you know, I didn’t do it. At least, not very well. It was such a reward to come back and get that regular nourishment in the Bible and have the benefits of the sacraments and the support of people of like belief.

So, good luck to those who are creating their own religion and to those who are trying to be spiritual without being religious. I really think the litmus test is morality. We will all be judged by it, the agnostics, the atheists, the snobbish church people, the spiritual searchers, the Muslims, Jehovah’s Witnesses, yes and the Christians. We will all be judged by our morality, whether the God of Christianity exists the way we think He does or not. How well have we kept the ten commandments and how well have we loved. That’s the litmus test of true spirituality and true religion. We need them both and we need all the help we can get to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment