Thursday, August 25, 2011

FRESH-OMORE

Sermon: Exodus 3:1-15, Rom 12:9-21, Mt 16:21-28
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, Pent 11, 8-28-11

Get behind me, Satan! How would you like to have anyone say that to you, let alone the Son of God? Poor Peter! His fortunes changed so quickly within the same chapter of Matthew’s Gospel. Last Sunday he had the right answer to the question “Who do you say that I am” and Jesus gave him a new name and made him the rock upon which he built his church. If you missed last week or any Sunday for that matter and want to keep up on the readings and the sermon and you use the internet, just go to my blog and pull them up. The address is hamburgham.blogspot.com It is found in the Sunday bulletin.

So Peter was the hero last week; this week he’s the scapegoat. Why? Not because he was bad or negligent or anything like that. He just didn’t get it. He wanted to save his Lord and friend from the suffering that was to come. He loved and cared. What’s wrong with that? What was wrong was that Jesus himself didn’t want to go through it. He knew what was coming and He was bucking up his courage. Peter, his first in command, is tempting him to run away from his destiny. Hence the term Satan, the tempter.

Life is that way sometimes. It’s the most natural thing in the world. We would rather avoid any pain in our own life and protect our loved ones from pain and hurt, as well. The term tough love came into existence for those who would protect a child, let’s say, and sometimes that child is 40 years old, from the logical and painful consequences of their own behavior. Such a protective parent really cripples the son or daughter by supporting their continued irresponsible behavior.

But of course that was not the case with Jesus. Peter was horrified at what Jesus was saying and when he could ignore it no more, he tried to talk him out of it. Pretty understandable. There are some things we cannot avoid, however. Jesus couldn’t and we can’t. Disastrous things occur to good people. Our faith is tested. How could a loving God allow this? we say. Because God’s love isn’t quite the same as ours. He has a bigger picture of things and is able to bring good out of apparent evil. Sometimes His love is really tough, though. After all He didn’t spare His own Son.

When we pray for someone who is suffering, we are praying that they be healed or helped out of a bad situation, if it is God’s will. Our ultimate prayer always has to be, if it is Your will. It is really rewarding, though, when we learn that a greater good is apparently coming out of the pain or disaster. This is especially true when it involves someone we have been praying for.

One such case is that of Champ McCahill. Champ is a 15 year old athlete who has been on our prayer list for about a year and a half. He has had a brain tumor removed; there were two surgeries. Recently he wrote this letter to all his prayer supporters; it has come to us through the good graces of Sue and Ron Hollis.

Hi everyone, it’s Champ here. Hope everyone is having a wonderful summer. I just got back from my beautiful cottage and family vacation. It was so nice to get to see all of my aunts, uncles and cousins.

I woke up this morning feeling confident but in the back of my mind a little worried. This morning I had another scan of not only my brain but my spine as well. My mom took me at the crack of dawn… well, really 6.00am, but too early. Because the scan took so long (two hours) they put me under, which is always fun! I woke up to my mom and Aunt Norine chatting as usual. They both believed I was fine but I could tell they were nervous, too. It didn’t take long for Dr. Smith to bring us the GREAT results of the scan. Dr. Smith isn’t a lady of many words but her smile said it all. My scan is clear!

I will stay in the hospital for the next two days for my second to last round of Chemo…ever. I will finish up either in Sept. or Oct. I feel almost like a normal person again. It feels so amazing to know that my body is cancer free. My mind and my heart have always been strong and now my body is too. I am looking forward to starting rehab—speech and physical therapy-- and continue to improve. I hope to start school in the fall. (I’ll be a fresh-OMORE. Freshman and Sophomore mixed, get it?)

I know I will never be the same I was before cancer but I have a feeling I like who I am better now. I have learned to treat people all equal and love and respect. I have learned how my community can be so uplifting. I have learned that family can get you through anything. I have so much love.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart and the top of my cancer free head!!!

Champlin Raymond
Ps The Irish are ranked 18th!! I have a feeling it will be a GREAT fall!!!!

There is a bigger picture and God sees it.

No comments:

Post a Comment