Monday, May 23, 2011

Sin on Sunday

The Lark, June 2011

The waitress looked at me and said, “Did you bless us, Father?”  I hadn’t but I did.  Then she asked if it was a sin that they were working on Sunday, “they” referring I surmised to the other waitresses in addition to herself.    I said no, it was a special thing they were doing for those who could dine out on the day they were not working.   But, I added, it was important they had at least one day a week off so that they could rest from their labors and have time with their families.  “And for prayer” she added.  After all, I said, even God rested after a week of creating the world. 

The look of sadness that came over her face told me she didn’t get a day off. Her accent suggested she was probably a recent immigrant.  Her message was that of a woman who brought her religion with her from the old country and the demands of life in the new country were interfering with the practice of it.  It made me think of a time when life was simpler in this country and time for God and for ourselves was easier to come by.  Now those who are working/raising children/going to school have to struggle to keep their priorities straight.  Even those who are retired can have the same issues.  We can fill our lives up with busyness and still not have time for God and for what is best for ourselves.

Something to think about on our day off.        







  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment